Thursday, March 25, 2010

Pruning

Pruning.  Pruning.  Pruning and more pruning.  Almost four years ago we moved back to Columbia.  We were so excited to be coming "home."  We bought a house with an eight week old and a three year old.  A momma who would soon lose her marbles (PPD, panic attacks, etc.)  Bottom line.  We bought a house that was too big for us.  We were different four years ago.  I know I am not the same person I once was.  I mean I am still the same, but my heart is different.  

The person who lived in our house before us was a landscape architect.  Yep.  Great.  She was so sweet to come by and go through the entire yard and give me the run down.  Only if my baby had not been crying.  Only if I didn't feel like I was going to have a heart attack.  I don't really remember anything she said except for, "this tree I use to collect the seeds and send them to a person in Augusta."  That was enough to intimidate me.  I mean let me tell you, when we bought this house, it was like the "secret garden."  It was amazing.  You could tell that Mrs. Rice loved this yard.  She took care of it like it was her baby.


Not me.  For the past four years I have spent the majority of my time trying to get to know the Lord better.  All along He has been pruning me.  But, I just realized this on Sunday.  I have finally taken an interest in the yard.  Guilt, whatever you want to call it, I feel a strong pull to the yard.  Maybe it is the sunshine.  Maybe it this sense of balance I feel right now.  Maybe because I am different than I was even 6 months ago.  Sanctification.  Whatever the reason, my yard has overgrown it's own space.  These bushes were growing toward the sun, but nothing except these two sprigs were growing underneath.  The leaves and branches were keeping new growth coming up from the bottom.  Another words, top heavy.  


So, I got to work.  I cut the good off.  Now I am praying that it will grow back healthy and strong.  I took a close up picture of one of the two new growths so you could see how the light hits the leaves.  Beautiful.  Jesus is the light.  He said, "I came that they may have life and have it abundantly."  John 10:10.

Warren Weirsbe says, "We know that we are abiding when the Father prunes us, cutting away the good so that we can produce the best.  We glorify God with fruit, more fruit, much fruit."  With the Word (p. 700)

Read it again.

So when we are abiding, He will cut away the good so that we can produce the best.  

"By their fruit, you will know them."  Matthew 7:20

When I look back over the last 3 1/2 years, I see the Lord's hand so clearly.  It has been hard.  But, oh so worth it!   

There will be a part 2 to this because I worked in the yard all day yesterday.  Can't wait to show you the progress:) 

No comments: